Premade 9inch deep dish pie crust, blind baked according to packaging
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup sifted cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
5 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest (fine)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup of water
1 cup sugar
5 large egg whites
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon of cream of tartar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1. Bake empty pie shell according to packing.
2. To make filling, combine cornstarch, cake flour, salt, and sugar in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add 1 ¾ cups cold water. On medium heat bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes, the mixture will begin to thicken.
3. Remove the pan from heat. Temper egg yolks by beating a small amount of hot mixture into the yolks before adding them to pan. Add tempered egg yolks to the saucepan and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Whisk in the lemon juice and zest. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes more, be sure not to overcook the lemon/egg mixture.
4. Remove from the heat. Add the butter one piece at a time, whisk each piece until incorporated. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, and let cool for 30 minutes.
5. Pour the warm filling into the cooled shell and refrigerate, cover with plastic wrap until firm, about 1 hour.
6. For the Meringue, heat oven to 400 degrees. In a saucepan combine sugar and water, bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 4 minutes and remove sugar syrup from heat. Combine egg whites beat until frothy (about 1 minute) then add the cream of tartar, pinch of salt and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Carefully, pour hot sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the egg white mixture while beating egg whites on low. Once sugar syrup in incorporated, continue to beat egg whites on medium high for 5-8 minutes while the egg whites cool and become shiny and glossy.
7. Cover pie to the edges with the meringue, being sure to seal the edges with the meringue. Using the back of a spoon, create whimsical peaks all over meringue.
8. Bake pie on middle rack of oven until meringue peaks are light brown, about 4-6 minutes, watching constantly. Allow pie to cool completely before cutting. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe directly from Blue Ribbon Kitchen